Rafael Trespalacios, M.D.
- Custom Cataract Surgery
- Fellowship Trained Refractive Specialist
- Crystalens Specialist
- Intacs for Keratoconus
- High-Definition Custom Blade-Free LASIK
- Implantable Contact Lens
- Advanced Corneal Transplantation Techniques
- Artificial Corneas
- Ocular Surface Reconstruction
- Sutureless Pterygium Surgery
Melbourne, Merritt Island, Suntree and Downtown Orlando Offices
- Bachelor of Science in Biology and Microbiology, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL
- Doctor of Medicine, University of South Florida School of Medicine, Tampa, FL
- Internship: University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, South Carolina
- Ophthalmology Residency: University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, South Carolina
- Cornea/Refractive Fellowship: Price Vision Group/Cornea Research Foundation of America, Indianapolis, IN
- Fellow of the Cornea Research Foundation of America
- Brevard Eye Center, Melbourne, Florida
- Contract Physician, WJB Dorn VA Hospital, Columbia, South Carolina
- Board Certification, American Board of Ophthalmology
- Board Certified, National Board of Medical Examiners
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Medical Association
Honors and Awards
- Poster of Interest, Implantable Contact Lens Sizing: Manual White-to-White Verses VHF Digital Ultrasound Imaging, ASCRS – 2007
- Resident of the Year, University of South Carolina School of Medicine – 2003
- Research Grant Award. Optical Coherence Tomography of Diabetic Macular Edema Before and After Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy – 2005
- Research Grant Award, Wavefront Aberrometry Before and After Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy – 2004
Presentations and Publications in Ophthalmic Disciplines
- Graft Rejection Characteristics in Descemet’s Stripping With Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSEK) Invest.Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2007 48: E-Abstract 4720.
- “New and Useful Surgical Techniques in Anterior Segment Surgery, “ASCRS Course Faculty, May 1, 2007. San Diego, CA.
- “Advanced Keratoplasty Techniques, “JCAHPO Course Instructor. April 29, 2007. San Diego, CA.
- Endothelial Keratoplasty Technique for Aniridic Aphakic Eyes. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2007 Mar;33(3):376-9.
- “Comparative Outcomes with Eye Bank or Surgeon Dissected Donor Tissue for Descemet’s Stripping Endothelial Keratoplasty”, presentation at Federated Scientific Session of The Cornea Society and Eye Bank Association of America. November, 2006. Las Vegas, NV.
- “DSEK and Intralase Enhanced Penetrating Keratoplasty”, Allergan dinner reception/presentation, Indiana University Ophthalmology Residents. September, 2006, Indianapolis, IN.
- “Hyperbaric Medicine and the Eye”, presentation at the Annual Advanced Symposium in Hyperbaric Medicine. April 2006, Columbia, SC.
- Implantable Contact Lens Sizing: Manual White-to-White Verses VHF Digital Ultrasound Imaging, ASCRS Poster Author. April 30, 2007. San Diego, CA. Poster of Interest.
- Early Intervention in Post-LASIK Trouble. Ophthalmology Management. 2006 April: 28-32.
- Prophylasis of Pain in LASEK, Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006 47: E-Abstract 3620.
- The XP Microkeratome: Safety and Efficacy of the First 55 Cases, Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006 47: E-Abstract 3602.
- “Problems in Ophthalmology”-Case Studies, presented at 2nd Ophthalmology Update, January, 2005, Columbia, SC.
- Ex-PRESS Shunt Under a Scleral Flap as Primary Surgical Treatment for Open Angle Glaucoma, Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006 47: E-Abstract 23.
- Ex-PRESS Shunt Under a Scleral Flap for Neovascular Glaucoma, Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006 47: E-Abstract 24.
- Blood in the Eye (Hyphema), presented at “Ophthalmology for Everyone” Symposium, February, 2006, Columbia, SC.
- Central Corneal Thickness Changes After Goldmann Applanation Tonometry and Gonioscopy, Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 46: E-Abstract 4855.
- Autologous Pedal Extensor Tendon for Frontalis Sling, presented at the ASOPRS Fall Symposium, October, 2004, New Orleans, LA.
- Adenocarcinoma of Ciliary Body Pigment Epithelium: a rare tumor with extraorbital and extracranial extension responds to Gleevec® (imatinib Mesylate), Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 46: E-Abstract 3362.
- Extended Application of Mitomycin C in Repeat Dacryocystorhinostomy, Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 46: E-Abstract 4428.
- Are Patients with Diabetes less likely to Develop Age-related Macular Degeneration if Panretinal Photocoagulation was Performed? Follow-up to Biomechanical Shell Model Hypothesis, Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 46: E-Abstract 3309.
- A Diagnostic Dilemma: Bilateral Multiple Cranial Nerve Palsies in a Patient with Aseptic Menningitis, Sphenoid Sinusitis, and A Suprasellar Mass, Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 46: E-Abstract 621.
- “Ophthalmology for Primary Care,” presented at Department of Family Medicine Palmetto Health, September, 2004, Columbia, SC.
FDA Clinial Trial Involvement
- Lux Biosciences: Cyclosporine A Eluting Silicone Matrix Implant for Cornea Transplantation. 2007
- SOLX: DeepLight Gold Micro-shunt. 2006-07.
- Ophtec: Artificial Iris. 2006-2007
- Veriflex: Foldable Phakic Intraocular Lens. 2007
- Intacs for Keratoconus. 2010
- Continuing Professional Education Cornea Fellows Program, Fort Worth Texas, September 28 – October 1, 2006.
- Allegretto Wave Excimer Laser Training Certificate, University of South Carolina, Dr. Richard Davis, March, 2006.
- Advanced Phaco Skills Course, Fort Worth, Texas. February 23-25, 2006.
- Physician CustomVue Certification Course, February 2, 2006.
- Visx Excimer Laser System Physician Training Courses for PRK and LASIK, Duke University, Dr. Allen Carlson, October, 2005.
- Visx Excimer Laser System Physician Training Course for PTK, Duke University, Dr. Allen Carlson, October, 2005.
- Technolas 217 Laser Course, University of South Carolina, Dr. Richard Davis, September, 2005.
Dr. Trespalacios enjoys reading, church activities and golf. He lives in Rockledge with his family.